Breaking into the top 10

It's really hard. Maybe it's just me, javonte hasn't had any issues and he started after me, but I feel like no matter what I do I'm just falling short. Some songs have been #11 a few times, and I'm consistently achieving number 1 albums, but for my singles it's just not the same thing. I'd appreciate any tips!
Side note, I really think genre-specific charts would be great for the game. I think it would help competition and engage new players because it'd be easier to find success on those charts, whereas after a while you can plateau on the main charts. I don't know how hard it would be to implement but this site is nearing a decade old and I think it's a pivotal feature that's missing.
Link
I've managed to just about break into it with a couple of my bands but that could easily just be a timing thing based on when other 'bigger' acts have released songs, I don't always manage it.
I don't know what your usual routine is but mine is write song for 3 days, record, promote for 3 days and release the song on the second day.
The feeling I get is that bands with longevity have built up their rating and fame and it's hard to dislodge them if you're releasing a single at the same time. If it is that straightforward, genre specific charts like you suggest could be a great idea so that newer players stand some chance of hitting the top of the charts.
I'd hope there's a bit more to it than just a band's fame though. Especially with the new options for songwriting it would be cool if the charts went through 'trends' where certain types of song are more popular for a time and do better in the charts. Then after a while another type would be more popular. 
Now I'm thinking about this I'd also love something like a 'masterpiece' or 'breakthrough' trait for a song that's maybe a really rare attribute you can get if you're lucky when you write a song that has a much greater level than your band would ordinarily be able to produce. Whether the game openly tells you your song has gained it I don't know but it would also be a way for newer players/bands to hit big in the charts. For instance if you paired it with the trends idea above, if you write/release the song just at the right time as the trend is changing it hits big.
Okay I'll stop I'm just rambling now haha
Link
I definitely do believe that the fame the usual big bands have accumulated is only possible by being around for a very long time. I'm never realistically going to reach the fame level of Funkisio because they've been around for nearly a decade. But obviously it's not fair for them if all that time and effort means nothing so I truly think genre-specific charts are the way forward.
As for your ideas, I really like the idea of trends. I think this game also has an issue where larger bands will be more successful, so usually Soul-Funk bands are the way to go compared to other groups. Having trends means that other musical genres can thrive and find success. And I love the idea for a breakthrough too, because sometimes life is just like that, you manage to get lucky and hit it big. It would also probably incentivise a lot of players to try and reach that breakthrough because it could do great things for the bands.
I think genre-specific charts are necessary at this point. I'm perfectly happy with being ~20 for each song, but new players probably won't be willing to put enough time and effort to get to that point, and so the community stays small and static, and the same people reach the top of the charts. Sadly this site doesn't get much support at all. I'd implement something if I had any knowledge of coding, but alas I do not, so we can only hope. But its been nearly 10 years and I feel like something like this is now necessary.
Link
I agree with both of you - genre specific charts and especially trends or breakout songs - that would be awesome. But I’m almost certain both of these have been suggested in the past in the forums and from their posts, I know mclean (the creator) has a long list of suggestions they are trying to work on (the 24 song album glitch, musicians aging over time, etc.)
In the song type and mood update, it was noted they have no impact on sales “for now” so I’m pretty sure sales are literally just rating and fame for now. 
Not to give away all my strategy, but I had a thought that the only way to catch the older bands would be to have like one of your bands promote for months straight to try to catch up on fame.
Link